Sunday, October 10, 2004

Oh my god, there's a rocket in my backyard!

Is there a rocket waiting to explode in your backyard? Please look for one. I checked my backyard only to discover I don’t have one. Yes, I do not have a backyard, all I have are two balconies. And I am pleased to report that I found nothing close to being labelled ammunition or ammo, as newspapers headline it.

Seems my balcony is the only place they haven’t found a rocket or two. As you read this, government officers would have finished unearthing more rockets in Akola, Belgaum, Chinchpokhli, Jhumritilaiya and your neighbourhood paan-shop. It’s a festival out there.

After some rockets exploded in a Ghaziabad steel factory killing some 10 workers, there has been a series of findings (not explosions, thank goodness!) of rockets that enter the country as metal scrap imports.

Yesterday I saw a newspaper carry a map of north India with dots all over the map pointing out the places we have found rockets.

Today the number of dots increase manifold. And every factory worth its chimney has been working as a dump for unused explosives of the world. And a lot of questions have been exploding inside my mind. Some of them are still looking for answers. And the top 5 are—

1. Are scrap rockets living beings that procreate, sometimes really quickly, to save their race from being totally removed from the face of earth? Because the moment experts discover and seize one set of rockets, many others surface in another factory, another town?

2. Did they enter this country in a pact to explode in factories together? Because we never found these many ammo things before the Ghaziabad blasts.

3. If Ghaziabad ones weren’t the first ones to arrive, how did they conceal themselves? Why didn’t they explode in such numbers before this? Were they not being broken into these scrap factories or just passed on to those who have some use of rockets? That brings us to the question no.

4. Is this the way terrorist/subversive elements import rockets into our country?

5. Are we sure we haven’t imported nuclear waste, chemical warfare, serene gas, anthrax strands and scarier things?


No comments: